Dec 10, 2008

The diary of Sadie Alvarez: Page 9


“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain,”
-Trenchtown Rock,
Bob Marley

After a quick shower, I changed and gathered my things.
Tape recorder, tapes, pens, pencils and reporters notebooks.
Nikon D80 and external flash.
Rechargeable batteries, flashlight and memory cards.
Good to go.
I decided to wear a knee length black dress with a Champaign coloured silk camisole on top. The event itself was a formal affair. After playing with my hair for a while I decided to leave it down. Down, long, shiny and brown. You never know who you might meet.
The show was taking place at an upscale hotel. It was some corporate private party for all the big wigs. A watering hole for the social climbers.
I was supposed to meet the band manager, Kyle, in front of the hotel. As I walked up the only person I saw was a very attractive man with a buttoned down shirt and tie standing alone by the door. Not who I had pictured, so I decided to call the number he had given me.
I heard a phone ringing right beside me and realized the good-looking man was the Kyle I was looking for.
“Uh, hi,” I said to him awkwardly. “I think I’m calling you.”
He laughed.
“Looks like it. You must be Sadie. I’m Kyle,” he extended his hand. I took it, oh God I wanted to take it all.
“So Kyle, are you ready to do this?” I asked.
“The guys are upstairs waiting, they are very anxious to be interviewed. Its their first time.”
“Mine too,” I joked and we headed into the hotel.
Inside the place was unbelievable. Chandleries hung down with glowing crystals that traced small rainbows along the walls. The people surrounding us were in ball gowns and full tuxedoes. Kyle and I stuck out like sore thumbs in our half-hap outfits.
I met the band and they were great, easy to interview and eager to answer questions. It was hard not to glance at Kyle out of the corner of my eye. He was gorgeous with his big blue eyes (I’m a sucker for blue eyes, I think its because mine are brown) and gorgeous smile. He had dark hair and a thick beard. And through his thin, white shirt I could see his arms were full of tattoos. A Rock ‘n’ Roll boy… my favourite.
I finished up my interviewing and we all went down to the stage. This has always been my favourite part; watch the show and take the pictures. To think one day I’ll get paid for this.
“Would it be alright with you if I put my purse on the back of the stage?” I asked.
“Absolutely,” he said with a smile.
“Thank you,” I said and went to work.
Kyle stood off to the side of the stage as I moved around the front taking pictures. I was forced to use direct flash because the ceiling was so high, but the band seemed to be fine with it. The show was great and when it was over I walked around the stage and stood beside Kyle.
“Not bad my friend, not bad at all,” I said.
“Yeah, you should see them when their not forced to sing Mr. Jones,” he said.
I laughed. He’s funny too, I thought. Then an alarm went off in my head. Don’t mess around with a work guy. Got it.
“Well thanks so much,” I said quickly, packing up my camera. “I should go now though, but I’ll call you to fact check.”
“Hey, why don’t you stay for a drink or two?” Kyle asked. “A beer costs eight dollars, but its on me,” he added.
I thought for a second… Bad idea.
“I’m sorry Kyle, but I don’t drink and work.”
“You’re done working, so what’s the big deal?”
Technically he is right… Bad idea.
“I really can’t, not that I don’t want to. We go to press tomorrow so I have a strict copy deadline,” I explained. I was lying, clearly.
“Alright, well some other time maybe. So if you go to press tomorrow, when are you going to call me to fact check?”
He was a slick one.
“Uh, tomorrow.” I answered.
“Well I’ll talk to you tomorrow then,” he said with a sly smile.
That bastard knows why I can’t stay and have a drink. That smile tells it all.
“Talk to you tomorrow,” I said and turned quickly to leave.
On my way back to my car I cursed myself for being so obvious. When I’m feeling something, I wear it on my face. Clearly he’s attractive. But I’m just a journalism student covering a show. That’s all.
As I approach my car my phone rings making me jump. I looked at the screen. Kyle.
He must be attracted to me too! No, no, bad idea! I’m just going to have to tell him that I could never sleep with a source.
“Hello,” I said slowly.
“Hi Sadie, uh, yeah, you need to come back here...”
“Listen Kyle, I really can’t stay out late, seriously, I’m sorry,” I said quickly.
“Sadie,” Kyle said laughing. “You forgot your purse.”
I went silent for a moment.
“Oh shit, I’ll be right back!” I said and turned back toward the hotel.
Ben was waiting for me at the front entrance. Smiling.
“Thank you so much, I completely forgot,” I said. “I guess I would have discovered it was gone when I tried to start my car.”
He handed me my purse. My heart pounded loudly.
“Not a problem Sadie, I’ll talk to you tomorrow,” he said with an even bigger smile.
He is laughing at me inside of his head right now, I thought.
“Yes, tomorrow,” I said and turned around to leave. I got inside my car and took a deep breath. Obviously this isn’t the first good-looking man I’ve ever seen. But he was something, that’s for sure.
I grabbed my phone and called Max.
“Hello, hello!” she said when she picked up.
“Hello, hello! Drinks? Yes?” I asked.
“Yes please. It’s Wednesday, you know where to meet me.”
I laughed. “Alright, be there in 20.”

No comments: