Dec 7, 2008

The diary of Sadie Alvarez: Page 1


Its not what we carry with us, but what we let go, that defines us.’

I read that quote on my msn messenger list one day, it was a close friends screen name. I wish I could attribute it to someone.
It felt reassuring and frightening at the same time. And not in the thought provoking and metaphorical way that one normally would feel when hearing a line like that.
To me, it wasn’t so much what we carry with us, but who we carry with us -and then let go of- that truly defines who we are and how we change.
And for a single woman of 27, living in a society that has been directly affected by the Baby Boomers time, I’ve let go of quite a few men in MY time. Some infatuating then fleeting while others casual or brief, and I’d hate to think that these often dreary experiences are shaping me into what I am to become. The horror!
Side note: I love you Baby Boomers, I love your era, I wished I’d lived in it… instead of this one.
I’ve had a lot of bad dates. But who hasn’t? I’ve had some relationships that have left me emotionally crippled, powered only by some sort of other motor we have in our bodies that allows me to function at the bear minimum of who I am. Sliding through life in a haze, damaged by what I’ve felt- and sometimes what I’ve done- and feeling nothing at all.
But who hasn’t?
What makes me so different from you? I don’t know, nothing probably.
Except that I’m writing about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a great start, I'm loving the story so far!