Dec 7, 2008

The diary of Sadie Alvarez: Page 6


“It’s the friends you can call up at four a.m. that matter,”
-Marlene Dietrich

“So let me get this straight. You woke me up at two a.m. on a Thursday to tell me your back in town,” Max said taking a dramatic sip if her coffee and pushing her long, red hair off her shoulder.
“Well you showed up, didn’t you?” I said, dipping a french-fry in mayonnaise.
Max is my best girl friend, I’ve known her for years and I knew she would meet me no matter what time I called her.
“So what have you been doing since you came back?” she asked, obviously pissed that I hadn’t called her sooner.
“Well Max, I’ve been busy. I moved, unpacked all my stuff. That took a while. Painted my room. I picked up all my books for school and I, uh, fucked Tom….”
There was an awkward pause.
“You hadn’t even called ME yet, but you’ve already fucked TOM!” Max folded her arms and glared at me.
“Keep your voice down!” I said. “No one wants their club sandwiches with a side of Sadie fucked Tom.”
“So what was it like, how did it happen?” she asked with a smirk on her face.
“I called him up, for you know, just uh..”
“Booty call, yeah I get it,” she chirped. “Go on.”
“It was okay, it wasn’t like the greatest thing ever. He’s trainable, I guess. It will get better,” I said, a little uncomfortably. “It just happened half an hour ago, to be honest.”
“Half an hour ago! You tramp,” Max said laughing. “Well have fun with that, I’m sure it will all work out.”
I love Max to death and I’ve gotta hand it to her, she does always have the confidence that things will all work out. Most times she’s been wrong.
But in the case of Tom she wasn’t wrong. Sex with Tom became better and better over time. He was always reliable, there when I called, never slept over and never ever got emotionally attached. Neither did I because I knew Tom wasn’t the guy for me.
And that’s how I found my booty call, good, reliable ol’ Tom, and for years he’s been just that.
But even though I went into university with this master plan of getting a ‘Tom’ and taking a step back from the dating world, Tom doesn’t even begin to skim the surface of the guys I met while in school.
How can I possibly describe myself now, hard-working-Sadie, without going back to the years that shaped me to become who I am today.
Besides I’ve had three years dating experience in the university world, but only two during my career.
No, for you to fully believe all that I’m going to tell you, I need to start at the beginning.

No comments: