Dec 7, 2008

The diary of Sadie Alvarez: Page 3


‘He not busy being born is busy dying,’
-Bob Dylan

Five years ago I was in a loving relationship with the man I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. He cheated. He lied. He lied about cheating. We broke up, end of story. And I haven’t had a boyfriend since. I’ve dated, had sort of boyfriends and have been in relationship limbo. I even have a ‘booty call,’ although I think I’ve passed the appropriate age to use that expression. My first attempt at a new relationship was with a guy I met through a friend of mine.
Ends up he was also dating a mutual acquaintance of ours named Allison. We both discovered we were seeing the same man when I showed up at a local club with him on my shoulder. It was not a pleasant night.
At the time I was living in a small town on the East Coast. I had taken bartending in college, but I always knew I wanted to write ever since I was a little girl. After my boyfriend and I broke up, he moved out and I found myself (and my cat, Lilly) very alone. And living in an apartment I could no longer afford.
In order to find myself I quit my bar manager job and moved to Ottawa to go to university. Side note: this is not a story about a small town girl moving to the city, I had lived in Ottawa for a few years in my teens and all of my family lives up there.
After moving into a house with two of my wild and eccentric male friends I knew from Ottawa, I decided to take a break from the whole dating scene and focus on school. The only problem was that the idea of not having sex for three years just sounded miserable. I’m human, what can I say? Which is why I acquired my booty call. So I guess I’ll start with him.
He was easy enough to find. All I had to do was think back to all the guys that were interested in me when I lived in the city. The first guy that came to mind was Tom.
When I lived in the city Tom was a friend that I worked with at a local pub. He had a girlfriend of 4 years and I was not so seriously dating one of the bartenders. Classy, I know.
When Tom and his girlfriend broke up, he showed interest in me immediately. But I was having so much fun with my bartender that I never considered him. Then I moved.
So after a few weeks of living in the city again I gave him a call.

Sadie: “Um, hello. Would Tom be there please?”
Tom: “Yeah, this is him.”
Sadie: “Uh, hi Tom, its Sadie…. long time.”
Tom: “Sadie? Sadie Alvarez?”
Sadie: “Uh, yeah. I’m, uh, back in town. In Ottawa. Thought we could do drinks…”
Tom: “Well no shit! Sadie Alvarez! Defiantly, you wanna meet up in an hour or two?”
Done.

No comments: